For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, May 22, 2017

Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose

Dear Nobody was pitched as Go Ask Alice (but not a hoax).
Okay, I loved Go Ask Alice and all of the diaries in the Anonymous series. 
Hoax or not, most of them were very believable.
So I expected Dear Nobody to live up to those expectations.
It didn't even come close.
It was ridiculous, not believable in any way, and if any of this was actually happening I'm wondering why in the hell the law wasn't involved. 
Dear Nobody focuses on a girl that has CF (Cystic Fibrosis). However, you don't know that until much later in the diary. The diary instead focuses on her drunken nights, fights with her mother,  excessive amounts of drugs, and a new crush every other day.
At 14 years old, this girl has lost her mind and there is literally no way she's coming back. Time and time again she complains about how terrible her life is but then also makes note that she really isn't doing anything to change it. 
Sympathy is not something I had in any way reading this.
I had no desire to continue reading about Mary Rose.
But I happened to be on a 10 hour flight and brought only this to read.
Please, please, please do not waste time or money on this book.

NetGalley provided me with an e-copy of this book months ago and I just now got around to reading it. 
 
If you want to read published journals that may be a hoax but are much better than this...
Check out:
Go Ask Alice
Jay's Journal
The Book of David
 
I only have 3 of them reviewed at the moment, but I will work on getting the rest up soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment