For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, February 24, 2017

The Realm of Possibility

I love teen fiction.
I love novels written in poetry form.
I love David Levithan.
But, I hated this book.

This was a fairly quick read for me, but nothing about it stuck with me. The main issue I had with The Realm of Possibility is that I couldn't keep track of the characters throughout the book. Each section started with a page listing all the characters that were going to be in that specific section, usually about 3 or 4 characters. See the poems in that section went in order of those characters listed at the verrrrrry beginning. I was constantly having to flip back and forth throughout the book just so I could recall which character I was reading.
However, there was one character that stood out to me.
I cannot recall her name, but she was the girl who invited the "metalhead" to church with her. I was intrigued by the fact that she so openly stood up for someone so different from herself. It was by far the most touching poem. She knew exactly who she was. She was comfortable with herself and her love in the Lord. But that boy was not comfortable with himself. Yet, he still attended her church and experienced her entire life through the hymns she sang. He even played her a little gospel of his own. Their relationship is just something that fit together so well. 
Anyway, shout out to my sister for loaning me this book without telling me how confusing it would be!

Looking for other Books by David Levithan?
Every Day (Every Day #1)
Another Day (Every Day #2)
Someday (Every Day #3)
Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Will Grayson #1)
Hold Me Closer (Will Grayson #2) 

No comments:

Post a Comment