For readers around the globe. :)

Sunday, October 18, 2020

We're Going to Need More Wine


Gabrielle Union is an amazing human and we need to protect her at all costs.

I love her. I really, really do. But I am ashamed to say I really didn't know that much about her, other than she played a cheerleader in Bring It On, guest starred on Friends, and played as Chasity in 10 Things I Hate About You.
 
I never knew the struggles she went through, most of which are struggles many kids go through during their childhoods. She really didn't break through in Hollywood until her late teens, early 20's, but looked young enough to snag all the teenager roles. This woman just doesn't age. It's insane. Let me put this into perspective for you. I showed my husband the cover of the book and asked, "How old do you think she is in this photo?" He responded, "Like 25." I then showed him a picture of her in Friends and asked the same question, to which I got the same response. His jaw DROPPED when I told him those pictures were nearly 20 years apart.

Besides her acting roles, Gabrielle Union does loads of other work. She advocates for sexual assault survivors, women's health, mental health awareness, and a variety of others. All of these things have directly affected her life. She, herself was a victim of sexual assault. Her friend, Sookie, passed away from breast cancer. She's also spent years working towards becoming a better version of herself, even if that means cuddling her dog under her bed. All of the things she mentions in this book have happened to her and to countless other women throughout time, specifically women of color.

So next time Gabrielle Union pops up in the news, instead of reading the clickbait, pick up her book and your favorite glass.....because trust me, We're Going to Need More Wine.
 
Looking for other books by Gabrielle Union?

No comments:

Post a Comment