For readers around the globe. :)

Sunday, September 19, 2021

You Got Anything Stronger?

I went on my first date with Gabrielle Union in October 2020.
September 2021, she finally decided we should know each other a little better.
 So, I poured myself a glass of wine, and took a seat.
 
I felt like I had really gotten to know Gabrielle Union in her first book, We're Going to Need More Wine. She revisits many of the same topics in You Got Anything Stronger? But she also jumps straight into the new things happening in her life. She talks about motherhood, finding balance, and creating a family friendly workplace in Hollywood. Still, it wouldn't be a date with Gab if she didn't also bring up strippers and dance battles.

I heard all about the kids.
Kaavia James seems to always be on the go, running around without any care in the world. Zaya is busing living her truest self, exploring her sexuality while educating her family on what it means to be a part of the LGBTQIA+ community.

We even went back and talked about how she feels like she let down Isis, her character in Bring It On. Even though she voiced her opinions on how Isis should speak and act, she ultimately didn't get to see her dream on the big screen. While her opinions definitely helped create a more authentic character, it still feels like it was watered down in a way that was easier for white people to digest.

I fee; like I got to meet a truly authentic version of Gabrielle Union. One that can joke about herself but also be downright honestly about the things troubling her. That's what made this book so enjoyable. I'm sure we'll meet again.

Looking for other books by Gabrielle Union?

No comments:

Post a Comment