For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, August 7, 2017

More Than This

I spent all week reading this book, only to be left with the same questions I had to start with! This book is definitely out of my normal genre, but it was WONDERFULLY written. However, I don't know that I liked it. Usually when a book pisses me off, I still love it. But for this one I was just confused the majority of the time.
In the beginning, Seth thought he has woken up in hell; his own private hell where he relives memories before his death. He knows he's dead, but why is he in his old house with no one but himself? So then, two others show up Tomasz and Regine. They had spotted him a few days earlier but didn't know what to make of him, that is until he started running their direction when The Driver was after them. The Driver needs them, he is supposed to be taking care of the bodies, but somehow these three have gotten out.
This is when Regine begins explaining what they know and what they think is happening. This revelation made me think, "Oh, okay. So they're in cyber limbo." You know, when you've died, but haven't quite died because you have some greater business to finish. So they're trapped between reality and online. Online being the finish line.... or so I thought.
Turns out, the whole world has gone online and the world they are currently living in, just the three of them, is reality. But reality was abandoned when life got too hard and people decided to alter their memories to a happier outcome. Which makes Seth wonder if he can alternate between the two lives. Maybe he can log in online and hangout with his real friends and Tomasz and Regine can pull him back out into reality.
But of course that's where the book ends.
Overall, I enjoyed More Than This more than I expected. 
Yet, it wasn't at all what I had expected.

Looking for other books by Patrick Ness?
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment