For readers around the globe. :)

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Little Fires Everywhere

Get this book.
Read this book.
Love this book.

I'm not even going to lie to you guys, I absolutely inhaled this book.

Now the first....30 or so pages I was thinking "Why the hell would I care about this rich ass white family and their problems?" Then suddenly four hours had passed and I was so painfully invested in their lives and LOVING IT.

So, Little Fires Everywhere actually has quite a bit going on.
It's set in the late 90's with flashbacks to the 80's. It follows two families: The Richardson's, family of 6 which include Mr. and Mrs. Richardson -lawyer and news reporter respectively, Trip -athlete, Moody -his name is very fitting, Lexie -perfect child, and Izzy -the black sheep; and then there's the Warrens, family of 2, Mia -a struggling artist, and Pearl -a teenager looking for a normal life.
When Mia finds the Richardson's apartment for rent, it seems too good to be true. The neighborhood is picturesque, the people are incredibly friendly, and everyone is truly proud of who they are and where they come from. Which comes easy for Mrs. Elena Richardson who was born and raised in Shaker Heights, left for college and promptly returned home with her new husband to start a family. 

But Mia has led a vastly different life. She's never really had a place to call her own. Pearl has never even had her own bedroom. They've bounced around from town to town whenever Mia has a new photography project on her mind. They pack all their belongings into a car and hit the road. But Shaker Heights is different. They might finally have a place to belong.

Honestly, this book amazed me. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this and how quickly I devoured it. I'm highly recommending it to literally EVERYONE!
 
Looking for other books by Celeste Ng?

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's quite a review !!! I started this book sometime last year and gave up - don't know why. But based on how you much enjoyed it am going to attempt it one more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I really only started it because my coworker begged me to watch the show. But I just couldn't watch it without reading it first!

      Delete