For readers around the globe. :)

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Quiet

I've always considered myself to be an introvert.
Turns out almost half the population believe they too are introverts.
I asked some of my closest friends and coworkers if they believed they were introverted or extroverted. Their answers were mixed but after taking the quick questionnaire at the beginning of the book, we found most of us were introverts or ambiverts.

What Susan Cain put into this book really spoke to me. She took introversion and turned it into a positive thing. There's nothing wrong with kids needing to recharge after school. There's nothing wrong with working quietly by yourself, instead of in a group. Even though this book was released nearly 10 years ago, a lot of this research still rings true today. Plus we're seeing a rise of introverts in the workplace, even if they are hiding behind their self-imposed extroverted tendencies.

Cain also differentiated between introversion, shyness, and social anxiety.
I always assumed they were one in the same, but turns out I just have all three!
 
There were also many instances that I didn't realize were considered introverted tendencies, such as driving to a new location the day before you need to be there, just so you can get a feel of the journey without being overwhelmed the day of. Which also got me thinking about my mom, who now in my head seems like an introvert too. Growing up we were always told not to put her on the spot with after school playdates. I remember her riding with me to my new college campus (40 mins away) the weekend before I started. I remember us walking around campus so I could find the buildings I would be in that following Monday. But now I wonder if that was for me or for her or for our shared introversion?

I think that introversion is something that we really should celebrate. It doesn't make you less of a person, it doesn't invalidate your ideas, it shouldn't dictate your life. But you should know that's what makes you, you.

No comments:

Post a Comment