For readers around the globe. :)

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Even If We Break

 
It's time to get SPOOKY!
 
I have been not so patiently waiting for this book.
I absolutely devoured it.
You guys know how much I love a good YA thriller.

Even If We Break has A L O T going on.

Once I got the hang of it and actually stepped into the mindset of each character, I really started enjoying it. This book follows five teens into their very own role-playing-game (RPG). This is their last night playing together before they end the game for good...but could the murders in the game happen in real life? I mean they are in a haunted mountainside cabin and all their RPG's deal specifically with solving murders......

So let's break down the characters.

Ever leads the game. They created this game their freshman year. They never expected Gonfalon to be such a big part of all of their lives three years later. Ever had the unique responsibility of setting up the cabin the night before everyone else made the trek up the mountain. They got to tie in the murderous ghost stories to their secret world. But they never wanted it to end in actual murder.

Liva's family own the cabin where this is all taking place. She's loaded, and she knows it. The one redeeming quality she had was creating the costumes for everyone; she knew just what they needed to feel comfortable in their second skin. But, she honestly looks at her "friends" as pet projects. Each one has their own little quirks and she knews just how to break them. Her story was ridiculously predictable, but much darker than expected.

Carter wishes he had the money Liva's family has. He goes to extreme lengths to make it seem like he fits in with her. But watching him lust after Liva's family money was depressing. His presence in the group makes perfect sense. He and Maddy, couple or not, were two of my favorite characters. He would quite literally die for her.

Maddy is a precious angel and needs to be protected at all costs. She honestly felt like an after thought but I think that fit her character so well. Maddy wanted to be normal, to fit in, to not be so overstimulated. Seeing an autistic character being well represented was not something I was expecting in a YA thriller. But it worked. Her anxiety fueled the story for me.

I honestly don't know why Finn was here, I mean other than being a love interest for Ever. He was a boring character that literally just did things out of potential love. Reading in his mindset didn't do as much for me as some of the other characters.

Anyway, this was more of a character analysis than an actual review of the book. It would be very difficult to review this without giving away most of the story. So I hope you guys enjoyed this instead! Definitely a unique book that I would recommend!!

Looking for other books by Marieke Nijkamp?

No comments:

Post a Comment