For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, March 16, 2020

Serpent & Dove

A few weeks ago my friend and I were talking about how there are no good witch books out right now. Then lo and behold, Serpent & Dove was perched on an endcap are B&N and we snatched it up.

I was skeptical because it's about an out of practice witch who ends up marrying a huntsman, a man who literally burns witches at the stake. Louise, better known as Lou, is a petty thief, a criminal, and does not care in the least what people think of her. But she knows that dressing as a man will keep her incognito for much longer than if a woman was running around the streets. 
However, things go haywire when Lou is forced to marry Chasseur, Reid Diggory, who happens to be the Chasseur Captain, leading attacks against witches. His dreams are officially stomped out when the Archbishops weds him to a heathen like Lou. But in the midst of learning about each other, they eventually decide that marriage isn't so bad. They could learn to love each other, right?

Outside of the Lou-Reid love aspect of the book, I loved Ansel. Ansel was a Chasseur in training when he was ordered to watch Lou. They soon become fast friends, and honestly their friendship was one of my favorite things about the book. However, I do wish there was more magic throughout the book instead of just towards the last 200 pages. But that definitely gives me hope for Blood & Honey, which I've already pre-ordered!
 
Looking for the rest of the series?

No comments:

Post a Comment