For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, March 23, 2020

Everything is #@%!ed

In the midst of the COVID-19 apocalypse, I found Everything is Fucked to be a fairly fitting read. My coworker loaned me her copies of Mark Manson's books. I didn't really expect to find anything substantial in books with curse words in the title, but honestly I kind of love it. The dry sarcasm, the hint of impending doom, the sense of hope we all need.
 
I personally enjoyed one of the last chapters in this book. It talked about algorithms and how every choice we make is based on these algorithms. We move through life thinking we know what we want, how we want it, and how fast we can get it. But have you ever stopped to wonder how you got to that point? Maybe it was a passing thought, maybe a dream even, but most likely it was a billboard you glanced at while driving, an article you quickly scrolled past, maybe a stranger mentioned it in passing. All of these things are in our lives and we've never stopped to think why or how they got there.

Another chapter I really enjoyed was one about happiness. Yes, the title says everything is fucked, but we know that isn't always the case. But based on a little survey I did via Instagram, colleagues, and friends; most people will say their happiness on a scale of 1-10 is a steady 7 (which is said in the book). What amazed me is that I have friends literally all over the world and 90% of them said they were a 7. Some made note of how lucky they are to be able to spend time with their family, some expressed concern over the rising COVID-19 numbers, some just felt bored from laying around at home. But they all believed their happiness level was a 7. It's intriguing to me that we're in a global crises right now and people can still find happiness. 

Looking for other books by Mark Manson?

No comments:

Post a Comment