For readers around the globe. :)

Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Perfectionists

Oh. My. God.

These books remind me just how happy I am to be out of high school and no longer a teenager..

So what in the hell possesses me to continue reading from the YA section?!

Alright, I'm giving The Perfectionists two stars for two reasons:

1) It's basically PLL 2.0
2) It's terrible

 We get a group of 5 girls who are casually planning the hypothetical murder of their classmate, Nolan (don't even get me started on the name; I swear to God I even typed out Noel trying to remember it because they're literally the EXACT SAME CHARACTER.)
Nolan ends up dead, just moments after all the girls were last seen with him, in the exact way they discussed. So obviously they're instantly guilty and start traipsing all over crime scenes and breaking into house and ruining their lives, because what else would a group of high-class prodigies have to do? 

Annnnnnnd that's the whole premise of the book.
Sound familiar?

I  read Pretty Little Liars as Sara Shepard was writing them. 
I only picked up this duology because I wanted to read it before watching the show (obviously I have a problem, let's move past it). But the similarities are so striking....

Let me just break it down for you:

-There's a weirdo teacher sexing up all this female students.
-This teacher is also into old movies and photography.
I'm sorry, are we all picturing Ezra Fitz?

-There's a girl with scars all over her face.
-How she got those scars takes FOREVER to be mentioned.
Does this maybe sound like Jenna Marshall? 

-There's a foreign kid who shows up out of the blue.
-There's a doctor who for some reason gets weirdly personal with patients.
-There's a dude in love with his brothers girlfriend.
Now, these are all separate characters but um they all sound like Wren to me.

This just wasn't original in any way, shape, or form.
It was basically the exact same book with some of the characters switched.
But since I want to watch the show with my bestie, I'll be reading book two very soon.

Looking for the rest of the series?
The Good Girls (The Perfectionists #2)

Looking for other YA books by Sara Shepard?
Ali's Pretty Little Lies (PLL prequel)

Looking for adult books by Sara Shepard?
The Heiresses

No comments:

Post a Comment