For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, April 1, 2019

The Good Girls

THIS MUCH EXAGGERATED DRAMA MAKES ME SO GLAD I'M NOT IN HIGH SCHOOL ANYMORE.

Okay, so obviously I gave The Perfectionists a terrible review.
The Good Girls is slightly better, but still nothing to rave about.

The Good Girls picks up where The Perfectionists stops, people are still dying all around this group of girls. They continue to be brought in for questioning and begin questioning if they can trust each other. Each girl has to go through an individual pysch eval with Dr. Rose. That's where the drama flares to life. This felt less Pretty Little Liar-y than the first book. The characters had more background and depth than when they were first introduced. So that was a nice touch. 

However, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the words prison and jail interchangeably, which Sara Shepard did repeatedly throughout this book. (Sorry, I have a degree in Criminal Justice and it just drives me freaking crazy) I assumed Sara Shepard would do research on something she was including in one of her books, but noooooooo. She threw a (presumably) 17 year old kid in PRISON and then said the kids parents couldn't BOND HIM OUT. 

UPDATE: YOU CAN'T BE BONDED OUT OF PRISON.

Then to make it even more annoying, another (presumably) 17 year old kid GOES TO THE PRISON TO VISIT THIS KID WHO THEY HAVE NO RELATION TO AND WITHOUT PARENTS.

OH. and this kid was thrown in prison within a week of the supposed crime.

Like stop, no. That is not how any of that works.
As for the mental health side of the story, I was unimpressed. Again, very little research was put into this aspect of the story and I was incredibly disappointed.

Anyway, I'm starting the show this week.
Wish me luck!

Looking for the rest of the series?

Looking for other YA books by Sara Shepard?
Ali's Pretty Little Lies (PLL prequel)

Looking for adult books by Sara Shepard?
The Heiresses

No comments:

Post a Comment