For readers around the globe. :)

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Milk and Honey

This post should really be titled "Why We Need to Stop Talking about Milk and Honey."
Working at a bookstore, I sell dozens of copies of this book every day. 
I hear people say:
"This is my favorite book of all time."
"My friend told me about how great this book is."
"I can't wait to start reading this!"
"It's so insightful and inspiring to women everywhere."
What I want to know is how they could say ANY of that about THIS book.

Milk and Honey is broken into 4 sections: Hurting, Loving, Breaking, and Healing. 
The book starts with a young girl getting raped by her father. She witnesses the abuse of her mother at his hands and she wonders how this could be okay. How could someone you love hurt you so bad? It then turns to her first relationship with someone and how the euphoria is so beyond her control. She's happy. But that relationship doesn't end well and she basically hates herself but keeps repeating that she is so much better than him anyway. But the hurt is too strong for her. It ends with her taking control of her life and embracing who she is as a women, but it's still hard to tell what exactly happened....

This is told entirely in poems. However, the placement of the poems hardly make sense throughout the book. She also has some pages that literally have a "poem" of 4 words. The book also has illustrations to pair with the poems, but again some of them make you stop and say "What in the hell does that have to do with anything?"

So, before you run out and drop $16 on this book, maybe actually find out what it's about. I still haven't quite grasped the full concept and I honestly don't think I ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment