For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, July 1, 2022

Bookends

Boy, oh boy, this was written for a demographic of women that I am not even close to a part of.

Bookends: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and Literature bounces around from teenage Zibby, to college bound Zibby, to mom of four Zibby. For me, I found the chapters about her best friend Stacey to be the most compelling. I honestly did not expect to cry but once I realized what was happening.....yeah thank god my kindle is waterproof.
 
This was like if Mommy Bloggers, Sunday Restock TikTokers, and the women from Girlfriends Guide to Divorce got together and wrote a book. That's not even a negative thing, because I catch myself wondering how they live lives so drastically different from my own.

It's very obvious that author, Zibby Owens came from a very privileged family. A family that has created a nest egg for generations to come. But Zibby set out to create her own personal brand....I just wished she would have talked more about her foray into the world of literature. It was interesting to hear how many publishers passed on her work for reasons like, "We aren't ready for a 9/11 story," or "Essay books just don't sell," even hearing "no one cares about this.' It almost felt like by publishing this book, she gave a big middle finger to everyone else and combined all of those negative remarks and did exactly that....AND IT WORKED.

The only thing that really disappointed me was how minuscule the bookish parts were. I was expecting more reflection through books and how each book helped her through a specific time in her life. But instead they are sprinkled throughout the book in only a line or two, usually just mentioning the book she was reading at that given moment.

But other than that, this was a quick, easy read!

Huge thanks for Amazon Early Reads for providing me an E-ARC!

Bookends by Zibby Owens is out July 1st!
 
Looking for books or authors mentioned in Bookends?

No comments:

Post a Comment