For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, January 11, 2021

All of It Is You

This was word vomit.
 
This was like a misspelled tumblr post that somehow started trending.
 
This was like my high school friends trying to rap.
No flow, no rhythm, just word association. 

To be fair, Nico says in the introduction that they know this isn't a magnificent piece of work. It was almost like stream of consciousness writing. This poetry book is divided up into three main sections: body, earth, and universe. Each section includes poems dedicated to the main topic. It took me FOREVER to grasp one of the main aspects of the book, all of it is you. Since each poem is almost like an ode to the title, when Nico mentions "you" in the poem, they are actually referring to the title. Which literally did not make sense to me until I set the book down for a few hours.

Now the writing does get better as the book goes on, but it is not good by any means. There were a few poems that gave me hope for the rest of the book but that was quickly dashed on the next page. 

While I didn't love Nico's poetry book, I absolutely adored their autobiography, Space Between.
 
Looking for other books by Nico Tortorella?

No comments:

Post a Comment