For readers around the globe. :)

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Music for Chameleons

This definitely just became one of my favorite Truman Capote books.
 
Music for Chameleons is a collection of short stories, all of which feature Truman Capote himself. It honestly kind of felt like I was reading his journal and then consulting him for more details. It was downright amazing.
 
It features a slew of his acquaintances such as aristocrats from New Orleans, to Bobby Beausoleil of the Manson Family, to Marilyn Monroe, he even includes an interview with himself. I found myself drawn to the way he told these stories. Capote wrote these stories as conversations with his friends. There were several stories that I was actually upset to see end. "Handcarved Coffins" was one of my favorites because it had a true crime narrative. "Dazzle" was another one that I quickly added to my favorite stories. It was an early confession as to who Truman Capote would become. "Then It All Came Down" was another true crime story that surprised me by Capote interviewing a member of the Manson Family on Death Row. I thoroughly enjoyed "A Beautiful Child" which shows his friendship with Marilyn Monroe and really paints a picture of who she was through his eyes. It was honestly my favorite story in this book.
 
If you've never read Truman Capote this book might be a good place to start.
 
Looking for other books by Truman Capote?
 
Looking for other book about Truman Capote?

No comments:

Post a Comment