For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, March 18, 2022

The Speckled Beauty


"I don't think any dog knows home better than one thrown away once already."

I have a habit of reading sad dog books.
 
Seriously, you can scroll back through the past 10 years of this blog and you'll find dozens of books like this. Dogs are such a huge part of my life. I got my pup, Sophie roughly 6 years ago. I have no idea how old she is, or what breed she is, or what her story was before she came into my life. But that's the beauty of rescuing a dog.

My grandfather sent me a copy of The Speckled Beauty by Rick Bragg and I immediately bumped it up on my TBR shelf. It's a wholesome story about throw away dogs; which is a huge issue in the US, specifically in the South. Shelters stay over-crowded and the employees stay overworked and underpaid. Many people turn their dog loose to the streets. It's heartbreaking. Honestly, I'm crying writing this review.

Rick Bragg knows about throw away dogs. His dogs and mine have similar stories....thrown away for unknown reasons, in towns not far from each other in Alabama. The Speckled Beauty details life with his most recent adoptee, Speck. Speck showed up broken down, beaten, and bleeding. He even took off a few more times before realizing he finally had a home. Unlike my dog, Speck took no shit. He regularly battled with the mules and swung kittens around in empty sacks. He was used to fighting for his life, his meals, and a place to sleep. He found all that in an aging man who needed something to take his mind off of things. Somehow this little hell hound won him over.

Looking for other books by Rick Bragg?

No comments:

Post a Comment