For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, May 15, 2020

The Grass Harp

I love Truman Capote so much.
I constantly picture him as one of his characters and it's always easy to pick which ones he seems to base off of himself. Whether it's a small characteristic or a story literally based during his childhood, this aesthetic is immediately identifiable. It also helps that I'm from Alabama, just like him. It's so comforting to be reading about streets I've been on, towns I've been in, and places I've just passed through. It almost gives me a nostalgic feeling for my own childhood.
Anyway, you guys probably want to hear about the book.
So The Grass Harp focuses on Collin who lives with his quirky aunts, Dolly and Verena. These sisters have their fair share of problems and Collin quickly finds himself in the middle of it. During a disagreement, Dolly and her friend Catherine run into the woods with Collin in tow, to start their new lives in their treehouse. They want to live on their terms, they want to become themselves, they want Verena to let them make decisions for themselves without her hateful eye watching over them. It was a story of friendship, love, and growing up. Definitely everything I expected from a story like this.

Now this book also included some of Capote's short stories. Some of my favorites were "Children on Their Birthdays," "Miriam," and "The Headless Hawk." Each one had just the right amount of quirk that kept me drawn in until the very end!

Looking for other Truman Capote books?

Looking for other books about Truman Capote?

No comments:

Post a Comment