For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, January 10, 2020

The Phantom Prince

When I first took an interested in true crime, Ted Bundy's name popped up. I was so intrigued by him. I devoured all the articles and books on him. So when I took a Serial Killers course in college, I wrote my final paper on Ted Bundy. That's when I found this book, written by his ex-fiance.....for $1000+ on a wide variety of book retailers. When they announced the movie Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile (which is based off of this book) I had high hopes for a re-release of his original book. 3 days ago, I got my copy in the mail.

So that's a lot of hype that I was putting into this book.
 
But Liz, oh man, Liz.She was so young, so naive, so vulnerable when she met Ted. She had no idea this would become her life. She really, truly humanized Ted in her original manuscript. She got to write about a side of him that the general public following him never got to see. She saw the love of her life, playing with her daughter, playing house, dreaming of a future. Which is how she missed all the red flags that kept popping up even before the kidnappings and murders. She abused alcohol, she trusted a man she hardly knew, she stuck with him until he was arrested in Florida. FLORIDA. AS IN WHERE HE COMMITTED HIS LAST 3 MURDERS. And then she still couldn't turn him away when he called after that! 

I know love is a tricky thing.
The phrase "Blinded by love" is no joke.
But Liz and Ted were toxic for each other. Their entire relationship was based on their own selfish needs and codependent behaviors. The hardest part for me, was watching Liz battle herself over the details directly in front of her. He tried to drown her, he abandoned her for days, she knew he spent time with other women, she found a hatchet under the seat of his car, she turned him into the police multiple times and still could not see a future without him in it. It was sad, really.

Looking for other books on Ted Bundy?

No comments:

Post a Comment