For readers around the globe. :)

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Go Ask Alice

I know what you're thinking, "Why are you just now reviewing Go Ask Alice?

Well, turns out I read it many years before I started A Reader's Diary. So, I apologize for not being able to give my unfiltered preteen review of this book.

Pretty much everyone knows about this book. While at a party, a 15 year old's drink get laced with LSD and this journal, her journal, chronicles her descent into substance abuse. I remember reading this and becoming obsessed with finding other books like it, other books that could show me a world so incredibly different from my own. It led me to advocate for everyone, regardless of the situations they were in. I believe this was an important book for me, personally, to read even as young as I was.

The thing about Alice is that she's relatable.
Point blank.

She's a naive teenage girl in the '70s who is literally just trying to fit in. That's why every single generation since then has found their way to this book. I was 12 when I first read it, and I'm 26 now, but I still feel the same way about it. The only difference is we now have a far better understanding of mental health and addiction.

This book was obviously written for shock value. The most intense scenes sucker punch you with no warning or explanation. We now know that Alice never existed and that the "real diary" was a complete sham. But as fiction, it's still holds up.

Looking for the rest of the Anonymous Series?

Looking for books that feature this series?

No comments:

Post a Comment