For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

This Bright Future

A month ago I couldn't have told you a single thing about Logic. I was vaguely aware that he was a rapper but other than that....no idea.

My sister started telling me about his novel, Supermarket and how it deals with a lot of mental health topics like anxiety, bipolar, derealization, and things like that. So she loaned me Logic's novel and memoir and told me I would be absolutely shocked at his story.

But I wasn't. His story is one that I've heard a million times from people incredibly close to me. Some of his stories are word for word the same stories I've been told. The unstable home life, the drug and alcohol addicted parents, the stark reality of mental illness in poverty ridden areas. I've heard this all before. It breaks my heart to hear anyone has gone through the abuse and mental torture that comes with this way of life. But it's amazing to see a story that doesn't end with arrests or overdoses. It's so illogical that Bobby Hall became Logic.
 
The rawness of his story really grabbed my attention because most celebrities don't talk about being a child in this environment. Most rappers and rockstars created this life for themselves, they weren't born into it like Logic was. This was his every day reality and yet he somehow managed to pull himself into stardom with the help of AIM chatrooms and early Internet rap battles.

I'm not going to lie, I've never listened to a single one of his songs but when he started talking about how he came up with the song 1-800-273-8255 I was hooked. This dude really took Mac Miller's death to heart, wrote a song, and used the National Suicide Prevention Hotline number as the title. It's incredible.

This is a come up story focused on mental health. I just think we need more truly candid entertainers like Logic in the world. We need peace, love, and positivity.

Looking for other books by Bobby Hall?

No comments:

Post a Comment