For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, September 24, 2021

The Book of Accidents

I know I'm about to be in the minority here, but this book was not for me.

After reading a few of my friend's reviews, I decided to impulse buy The Book of Accidents. This book has received so much praise and I just don't get it.

It was horror meets sci-fi meets coming of age. It kind of felt like he took every single season of American Horror Story and mashed them together into this weird book. There's a haunted house, an impending apocalypse, multiple dimensions, a book of magic, a serial killer, and it even incorporates weird political undertones. But I suffered through all 525 pages because I thought it might get better.

The premise is simple, Nate's abusive father dies. Soon after Nate's family is packing up and moving into his childhood home. Nate transitions from big city cop, to small town Fish & Game warden. His artist wife, Maddie is ready to tackle bigger and better projects. She'll have her own workspace and can be alone with nature to craft whatever her heart desires. Their son, Olly, is ready to start over. He might finally have a chance to forget all the dark, evil, and painful things happening in the world. But, of course, that darkness seemed to follow them.

That's pretty much when things get weird.
It's all downhill from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment