For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, September 8, 2021

The Dead and the Dark

Was I expecting a horror novel when I bought this? Yes.
Is that what I got? Not at all.

What I got instead was an incredibly unique ghost story with a mostly queer cast.

The story begins with Logan and her dads moving to Snakebite, Oregon. It's been 13 years since Alejo and Brandon have set foot in the dark and gloomy town they grew up in, but their paranormal TV show has them scouting locations in the area. So they packed up and moved home.

In typical small town horror story fashion, teenagers start going missing and turning up dead pretty much as soon as the Ortiz-Woodley family shows back up. Of course, secrets never stay hidden for long and when there are teenagers involved. You know they're bound to do their own sleuthing. Logan and Ashley quickly strike up an investigative friendship. If her dads can hunt ghosts, so can she. She steals a few ghost hunting devices from their bags and sets off to a cabin in the woods.

The ending is what really made me love this book.
Everything was tied up so nicely.
 
I thought I was crazy when I told my friend it felt like Murder House meets Riverdale. As I was reading the Acknowledgments, I realized I wasn't alone in that description. But, like I said earlier, it was missing the horror aspect that I was craving. Still a great story but definitely could have used a few more scares.

No comments:

Post a Comment