For readers around the globe. :)

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

How to Sell a Haunted House

I went to see Grady on his book tour for How to Sell a Haunted House. His presentations are always so quirky and really get me hyped for his latest books.
 
This book was amazing.
The atmosphere, the vibes, the shock factor.
Everything.
 
Fair warning: If puppets or dolls give you the ick, you might want to avoid this book.

This was literally my nightmare growing up. Someone told me and my sister that if our Barbie dolls were still out at night, they'd come to life and attack us. I have vivid dreams of a Bratz doll scratching the lens of a camera, taunting me. We actually used to put our dolls to bed before we went to sleep, flipping all of them over onto their stomachs so they would be "asleep."
 
So yeah, this book definitely creeped me out a little more than I thought it would.
 
Louise and Mark's parents died in a freak car accident, leaving all their belongings to the kids. The house they grew up in, their father's work, and of course their mom's entire collection of puppets. Nancy started a Christian Puppet Ministry when they were kids. She had been carrying around a puppet named Pupkin since she was a little girl. The obsession grew from there. The puppets started to take on a life of their own. The love that Nancy showed them pushed them to be more than just the fabric and plastic that made up their bodies.
 
There were a few surprises that genuinely caught me off guard.
But holy shit, this book was great.
 
Looking for other Grady Hendrix books?

No comments:

Post a Comment