For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Immortality

A few months ago, my sister and I had a chance to go to YALLFest, a YA book festival held in Charleston, South Carolina. We had the best time and left out of there with so many new books, new authors, and new ARCs.

I happened to snag a copy of Immortality, the much awaited sequel to Anatomy by Dana Schwartz.

We learn a lot about anatomy, home remedies, and magical tinctures in the first book. Immortality has much of the same. But I felt like it was lacking just a little bit. I know we all got caught up in the romance between Jack and Hazel, but their future is nonexistent. In Immortality, Hazel has to find a way to move on with her life's work without Jack. She continues seeing patients and helping others merely for the sake of humanity. Furthering her education with this hands-on approach is something Hazel lives for. It's making her a better doctor and helping her to finish her very own treatise, or medical manual for the average person.

After finding herself in an awful misunderstanding, Hazel is called upon to treat Princess Charlotte, the future Queen of England. While treating the princess, Hazel receives an invite to an incredibly secret society, The Companions to the Death. Honestly, their part of the story is by far my favorite. I wish instead of creating an annoying ass love triangle, that we could have seen more from the Companions.

Honestly, I did not love this book.
It did bring me a sense of closure from Anatomy but overall I felt kind of meh about the whole thing.
It was written very well, but the story was lacking some of the empowerment that came with the first book. Hazel was a strong woman who was determined to become a surgeon, but her confidence really faltered throughout this book. I know love will do that, but man I missed her.

Huge thanks to Wednesday Books for the ARC!

Immortality hits shelves February 28, 2023!

Looking for the rest of the series?

No comments:

Post a Comment