For readers around the globe. :)

Thursday, August 11, 2022

I'm Glad My Mom Died

THAT TITLE, MAN.

Honestly, I love Jennette McCurdy. When I first saw her on iCarly, I wanted to be her. I wanted to be the unapologetic girl who wears converse and hates everything. I even wanted her clothes, which makes me cringe so hard because when I rewatched iCarly earlier this year...... let's just say I'm pretty sure we had the same pair of plaid bermuda shorts.

So obviously, I pre-ordered this book as soon as she announced it. I know the title feels like a sucker punch, but she has every single right to feel this way. It made me sad to be reading about a girl who was only a few years older than me. A girl who was going through some of the same shit, just for different reasons. A girl whose childhood revolved around pleasing the people around her, specifically her mother. It's not my place to detail the things she went through, but trust me when I say you can feel the emotions behind her words.
 
 
So many celebrities write memoirs about their public persona, or their personal lives, or where they came. I've never read a book that morphs those topics so drastically. Her story felt so raw yet incredibly relatable. This book is not a Nickelodeon tell all, it's not even about exposing her secrets. This book was about healing, growing, and becoming who she wants to be. It's phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment