For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

One Hundred Saturdays

This cover is gorgeous.
All the illustrations throughout the book are even more incredible to look at.
But I am 100% not the target audience for this book.

One Hundred Saturdays chronicles the life of Stella Levi. This woman is well into her 90s, and she has lived an absolutely remarkable life. She been through it, back, and through it again. But somehow she never lost hope. Stella's story is much bigger than the numbers that were once tattooed on her skin.

Michael Frank spent nearly six years with Stella while writing this book. They spent a hundred Saturday's together, where she told him her entire life story. Beginning to end. Starting her story as a young girl in Rhodes, navigating friendships and romances. Then, onto her time in the camps and dealing with the aftermath of losing most of her family. Of course, Stella couldn't leave out finding her way in America and inevitably her way back to Rhodes.

Those few sentences I just wrote will never encapsulate the stories Stella shared with Michael. I wish I enjoyed this book more, but like I said I'm not the intended audience for this book, at all. It's a great story that is written very well. But without knowing the history of where Stella grew up, it was hard for me to envision. This book is for History Readers. Entwining the rich cultures while also discussing a traumatic event definitely helped move the story along, but all in all, I didn't love it.

Huge thanks to Simon and Schuster and Avid Reader Press for sending me an advanced copy!

One Hundred Saturdays: In Search of a Lost World by Michael Frank hits shelves September 6, 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment