For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

The Devil in the White City

I've heard so many great things about The Devil in the White City over the years. So when my mom told me she was finally reading it, I decided it was time for me to read it too.

This is kind of two books in one.
While H.H. Holmes is what drew me to this book, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized I would be getting a backstory on The World's Fair. I was looking forward to the "murder, magic, and madness" which is written on the cover. And trust me, you get that. But then again, I now know more about architecture than I ever dreamed possible. But the way Erik Larson weaves the alternating stories together actually works. The architectural aspect of the fair parallels H.H. Holmes building his murder castle. Not to mention the steady influx of transients plays a big part in the both the success of the fair and his unsuspecting victims.

My mom and I both agreed, we expected more of H.H. Holmes story. But these two stories of great success and absolute turmoil really balance each other out. I just wanted a little more true crime and a little less history channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment