For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

We Were Liars

I decided to revisit The Liars after reading the prequel, Family of Liars.
 
I don't typically re-read books, but I felt like there was so much that still didn't make sense. So this re-read was necessary.

The first time I read We Were Liars I left with a meh feeling. It wasn't the worst but it wasn't the best either. There was just enough of mystery to keep me reading. But my review really showed how annoyed I was with main character, Cady. She's not even the annoying one though, it's the moms.

The dynamic between the sisters in Family of Liars really explains their behavior in We Were Liars. The privilege and entitlement is dripping off of them. The Sinclair Family is shrouded in secrets, because that's who they are....criminals, addicts, and liars.
 
Between the two books, I enjoyed Family of Liars more. It's written much clearer, but that may just be because we already know about the odd happenings on Beechwood. But there was a lot that I had forgotten about We Were Liars. My friend and I both remembered a character who wasn't even in the book. It was a trip re-reading this, but I'm glad I did.

Looking for my original review?
 
Looking for other books by E. Lockhart?

No comments:

Post a Comment