For readers around the globe. :)

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Adventure Dogs

I read Gizelle's Bucket List right after I got my very own rescue pup. I dove headfirst into the world of dog books....fiction, nonfiction, short stories. It didn't matter, because I was obsessed.

When I saw Adventure Dogs by Fern Watt, I pre-ordered it immediately.

Adventure Dogs was written a little different but it was still filled with Watt's witty humor and devout love for her dog, Bette. She ditched the memoir outline and opted for bite sized essays with full page dog photos to reference. While Gizelle had a bucket list, Bette has an adventure checklist.

Each essay is written with the help of a dog professional, whether that be a dog trainer, photographer, or masseuse. Everyone brought their own dogs into the story. Andrew and his dog Kicker often find themselves paragliding together. Jessica and her dachshunds hiked over 14,000 miles to the peak of Mount Elbert. Ryan even takes his pup surfing!

There are checklists throughout the book to use with your own dogs. I highly doubt I'll be taking my senior dog surfing anytime soon. But tomorrow we'll have a sandwich date, maybe hit the bookstore, and even take a smell walk. But that doesn't mean my pup, Sophie, hasn't lived a crazy life. My husband and I have joked that we need to get her a passport to document everywhere she's been with us. She's been on several international flights and rode on the train. She's felt the snow beneath her paws, and the sand between her toes. It's mentioned in this book how easily we accept dogs as our own and it's true. The moment I held Sophie, I knew we were going to be together for a long time.

Looking for other books by Lauren Fern Watt?

No comments:

Post a Comment