For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, October 4, 2019

The Dog Went Over the Mountain

 
Bittersweet.
That's the word I would use to describe this book.
In this ever-changing world, Peter Zheutlin realized there were thing he still wanted to do. On the cusp of his 65th birthday, Peter loaded up his BMW and helped his rescued dog Albie into the backseat. For the next 6 weeks they would eat, sleep, and breathe the open road. Inspired by the classic Steinbeck book Travels with Charley, Peter set off to re-live Steinbeck's legacy in this own way.

I was drawn to this book because I've loved all of his other rescue dog books, which all feature Albie. When Peter talks about the unconditional love he has for his dog, it was emotional for me. Just a few weeks ago I found myself crying on a road trip with my rescue dog, Sophie. With her sound asleep in my arms, I thought back to how small and scared she was 4 years ago when I took her in. I can't believe how far we've come together, how much she trusts me to protect her. now. And I think that's how Peter feels with Albie. It's hard to decipher was our pups are thinking and feeling, but it's nice to ponder the thought that they enjoy our company as much as we enjoy theirs.

Huge thank you to Peter Zheutlin and Pegasus Books for sending me an ARC!

Looking for other books by Peter Zheutlin?

No comments:

Post a Comment