For readers around the globe. :)

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Intrusive Thoughts

 
So a few weeks ago one of my friends started telling me about how his friend Tristan wrote a book. A "psychedelic noir" is how he described it to me. Which had me saying, "Uh, yes please." So Tristan sent over a copy of his book, Intrusive Thoughts (which I'm very thankful for).
This book focuses on a detective named Jacqueline who is having lapses in time. While she's in this altered state of mind, she is seeing someone who looks nearly identical to her committing murders all around the city. She's finding hysterical psychiatrists, dirty cops, and murder; everywhere. When her friend, and co-worker, Clara steps in to say she's worried about her....shit hits the fan.
There's no way Jacqueline is the one committing these murders, but the only way to find out is to stay in that altered mindset for longer periods of time. Which led me to believe that Jacqueline has Multiple Personality Disorder and just hasn't accepted it yet. I don't know if that's how the author was trying to portray her, but that's definitely the vibe I was getting. 

The only thing that I wish was different about this book is that it had chapters instead of just small page breaks It made it slightly harder to read because the narration switches very suddenly and it takes a minute to get the right voice back in your head for that POV.

Overall, it was a good book with a unique topic that I haven't found in other books!

Huge thanks to Rey for suggesting I read it and even bigger thanks to Tristan for sending me a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment