For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, November 8, 2021

Dracula

Sooooooo it's 2021 and I've finally read Dracula.

I actually decided to buy a special edition book box from The Literary Book Club which features a classic novel and bookish gifts to open on specific pages. Honestly, it enhances the book reading experience every time I get a box like this but this Dracula box was by far my favorite.

As for the book itself, I was so surprised when I realized it was written through journal entries, letters, and newspaper clippings. I'm OBSESSED with books written this way. Throwing a vampire into the mix makes it even better.

We've known about Dracula forever. We know he's the original vampire with a kick-ass castle. Instead of talking about him, I'm gonna talk about some of the things I was completely caught off guard by. For example, I didn't realize Van Helsing originated here! I also loved reading Dr. Seward's journals because who doesn't love a psychologist nonchalantly observing the effects of vampirism?! It also blows my mind how modern vampire stories pretty much follow the same outline of what it means to be a vampire.

I originally got caught up with Dracula after I accidentally found a copy of Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu. Bram Stoker actually drew inspiration for Dracula from Carmilla's story which was published nearly 25 years before the release of his iconic vampire tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment