For readers around the globe. :)

Friday, July 26, 2019

The Axeman

When I saw this book it made me say "Wait, The Axeman of New Orleans is a real serial killer?!" I first learned of the notorious killer when watching American Horror Story: Coven (which is amazing, highly recommend this season). So obviously when I saw there was an entire historical fiction crime series starting with the Axeman, I knew I had to have it.
 
The Axeman follows a few key characters: Riley, Luca, Michael, Ida, and Lewis (as in Louis Armstrong but very loosely based). Some of these characters work in the police force hunting down The Axeman, while others are investigative reporters and private investigators. Regardless, all of them are searching for answers pertaining to The Axeman case.

Honestly, I wasn't too drawn to any of the characters but I'm hoping that's just because it was the first book. I would have liked to see more of The Axeman and less of some of the other story lines. Yes, everyone was working a different angle but it felt like there were still so many loose ends to tie up when the book finished.

It also was V E R Y loosely based on the actual Axeman case.
Many details were changed, suspects were found, motives weren't the same.
Whereas the actual man behind the axe was never found and likely never will be.

If you look past the historical fiction aspect of this book, it's a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment