For readers around the globe. :)

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Out of the Easy

So, I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction.
Well, I thought I wasn't.
I found this book when I was looking for books told through a prostitutes POV (if you have any suggestions I am more than open to hearing about them). That being said, Out of the Easy is actually written from view of a prostitute's daughter.
Josie Moraine, Jo for short, was named after a well known brothel madam in New Orleans. Her mother has been a trainwreck from the start. By age 7, Josie was well-versed in the art of martini mixing. At age 12, she began hiding out in the bookstore that the owner let her live in. She's had to work her entire life because without working she wouldn't have survived under her mothers care. But she's always had Willie and Cokie to look out for her. They have eyes all over the French Quarter and always know the happenings. So when Jo's mother gets tangled up in a murder trial, things start to get sticky.
Josie, Jo, Josephine, wants more for herself. She doesn't want to stay in NOLA, she wants to get as far away as she can. She wants to go to college. She wants a life where no one knows her her dirty secrets. Somewhere where people don't know her mother is the town whore. Somewhere where she can start over completely.

Honestly, I want a second book. 
The way Ruta Sepetys wrote the ending definitely has the potential for another book.
Can Josie find herself or will she find herself back in Nola?
I would love to know.
 
Looking for other books by Ruta Sepetys?

No comments:

Post a Comment