For readers around the globe. :)

Monday, February 19, 2018

Friends and Other Liars

This book is fantastic!
It starts off from Danny's point a view but what is fascinating about his POV is that, well, he's watching his friends come together at his funeral.
That's right, Danny is dead.
His final wish?
Get his friends together so they can all get to know each other a little better, meaning he has dirt on each one of them and he's finally ready to spill it.

We learn all of the secrets through alternating points of view.
But not just that, it's also told through alternating time frames.
So we hear from High School Ruby, College Ruby, and Now Ruby.
Same goes for their friend Ally, and new friend Steph.
Not going to lie, storytelling in this way is probably one of my favorite things.
It gives such an awesome dynamic to all of the characters; how they grew up, who knew what, when things were happening, it's just fantastic storytelling. This book didn't let me down in that aspect either. Each character had a relationship with Danny that flourished in it's own way. He wanted them all to know that he knew everything. He was the only one who knew these secrets, and maybe that's what led to his death. Maybe they expected too much from him, but really, they only liked him when it was convenient from them. 

Now, when I started reading this, I was getting Th1rteen R3asons Why vibes, which was quickly squashed, but I'm okay with that. After Danny O.D.'s, his mother found letters in his room to give to his friends, letters that contained their secrets. The letter he wrote explaining all of the letters to them also mentioned if the secrets aren't told to the others, someone may have a way of letting the truth out. So 13RW is immediately where my mind jumped.
But then some of the members of their crew get additional letters that all say the same exact thing...
So, hello, obviously they are being stalked (they aren't but ya know, good storytelling). Once the stalker aspect came into play, I immediately jumped to Pretty Little Liars, but again those sneaky little thoughts were quickly squashed too.
But with everything I've said, I thoroughly enjoyed Friends and Other Liars!
It had just the right amount of secrets and tied up very nicely in the end (which I actually read first because I have no self control).
Huge thank you to NetGalley for an e-arc of Friends and Other Liars.
Even bigger thank you to Sourcebooks Landmark for thinking of me and sending me a physical copy of the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment