For readers around the globe. :)

Thursday, September 15, 2022

You Will Get Through This Night

Chances are if you're looking up reviews for mental health books, you're probably not in the best head space. But that's okay.

I found this book when I needed it the most.
I've spent nearly a month combing through the pages, highlighting, dog-earring, and force feeding it into my brain. I went back and forth about how honest I want to be in this review, but I've decided complete honesty might help someone going through the same things as me.

I've struggled with my anxiety for a very long time. It's not just an anxious feeling, but a spiraling thought. It's something that gets stuck in my head and I just can't stop thinking about it, even if nothing has happened. Anxiety is the reason why I have insomnia. I've always said the reason I can't fall asleep is because my brain won't turn off. I would stay awake until 3, 4, 5 o'clock in the morning just thinking. Then the panic attacks started. My doctor said, "Oh, it's just heart palpitations. Most people don't even feel them." And then she sent me home.

The way my concerns were just discredited really made me believe I had to just handle it on my own. I mean I have a psychology degree. I know how to help someone in my exact shoes. But let me tell you, that just wasn't enough.

I am very proud to say that while reading this book, I sought out therapy and started taking medication to help balance out my thoughts. The stigma behind mental health is slowly fading and that's a big part of why I wanted to share my story with you guys.

If you're not ready to take the next step of seeking out professional help, at least get this book. You Will Get Through This Night by Daniel Howell is broken up into three parts: This Night, Tomorrow, and The Days After That. Each section is filled with personal stories from Dan, along with exercises to help you better understand your emotions without discrediting them.

This Night is for immediate help. It has information on breathing exercises, how to ground yourself during a panic attack, and even how to process your immediate feelings. Tomorrow is for learning how to positively change your environment. It breaks down how your environment, eating habits, friendships, and even sleep affect your day to day life. Why fill those spaces with negativity? The Days After That is for understanding and becoming your best self. It's about being your genuine self. I've started using this book in my every day life. Each section has brought me peace and I know that sounds absurd, but it's true. I personally have found that focusing on my breathing, acknowledging my thoughts, and not discrediting the way I'm feeling is the best way for me to ground myself. Sometimes it's okay not to be okay. It's okay to ask for help. It's okay to feel.
 
I hope that by sharing my personal story, it encourages others to share theirs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment