For readers around the globe. :)

Sunday, February 28, 2021

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

Was I unsure about this book when I started reading it? Yes.
Did I end up pre-ordering the second book about halfway through? Yes.
Did I get a little annoyed with the elaborate guilty confessions that were told to a high school student? Oh, yeah.
 
But this was a book that actually kept me up all night.
 
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder started as a senior capstone project for Pippa Fitz-Amobi. What started as a teenage murder/suicide soon became a double homicide in Pip's eyes. The whole town believed Sal Singh was behind the disappearance and murder of his girlfriend Andie Bell. They believed when he took his life several days later it was directly related to the guilt he felt. But Pip just can't take that story at face value. I mean, no one has ever even found Andie's body.

Pip is determined to find the truth. She speaks with many of Andie's and Sal's friends and families. She spends months investigating the secret life Andie was living; a secret older guy, drugs, late night hotel meet ups. There were so many questions that needed answers.

What I liked about this book was that a lot of what Pip and Ravi were doing for this project could have actually happened. With internet sleuthing on the rise, they genuinely could have found incriminating pictures on Facebook that would have proven Sal's innocence. Many cold cases are being solved this way, so I definitely enjoyed this line of investigating.
 
But, I did not enjoy Pip and Ravi breaking into someone's house to find a burner phone. I've said it a thousand times, you cannot break in and then take the evidence to the police. That literally ruins so much of the investigation. I also found it incredible annoying that several of the people involved just spill all their secrets to Pip in a several page long confession. That just.....no. It doesn't ever work like that.
 
But regardless, I'm obsessed with this series and cannot wait for Good Girl, Bad Blood to come in the mail!
 
Looking for the rest of the series?

No comments:

Post a Comment